Be ready to play in the snow in this beautiful snowflake hat and mittens! The Snowflake Hat and Mittens Kit is a great way to practice your colorwork and chart-reading skills. You will impress your friends with the beauty and intricacy of the design, created specifically for Lambspun by Tiina Mitchell.
The Snowflake Hat and Mittens Kit is inspired by centuries old, traditional Scandinavian colorwork that is still popular today. A beautiful example of stranded colorwork, this style of knitting uses two or more colors of yarn that are carried “stranded” along the wrong side of the fabric until they are needed to create the pattern.
Did you know? Snowflake patterns in Scandinavian designs can be traced back to similar designs brought to northern Europe by Moorish and Middle Eastern travelers. These original designs were adapted to fit local tastes and to create a domestic market for clothing like sweaters, hats and mittens that bore these motifs. (Go to Knitwear — a history unravelled to learn more about the origins of these knitting techniques and patterns.)
- Level: Intermediate
- Size: Average (To make a larger hat or mittens, use next size up needles for both ribbing and colorwork.)
- Finished measurement: Hat: 19″; Mittens: Adult Medium
- Gauge: 26 st/23 rows = 4″ in pattern with larger needles.
Included in the kit:
- Two colors of Lambspun yarn hand-dyed superwash sockweight yarn. Choose your two colors from Lambspun’s wide selection of Superwash Sock or Superwash Sock With Sparkle yarns. Important: Please note your selections in the “order notes” section of your checkout cart (under shipping address).
- Lambspun pattern (Kit contains charted directions.)
Not included in the kit (but available from Lambspun):
- Needles:US 3 (3.25 mm) 16″ circular needle (or needle needed to obtain gauge) and US 5 (3.75 m) 16″ circular (or needle needed to obtain gauge); set of US 3 (3.25 mm) double-pointed needles (dpns)
- Stitch marker, tapestry needle
Notes on Lambspun Hand-dyed yarns:
Our hand-dyed sock yarn is spun from Merino Wool combined with nylon to provide warmth and washability.
Lambspun provides unique and spectacular yarns to help make each of your projects one-of-a-kind. Please note that dye lots will have variations in color due to hand-painting techniques.